Saturday, April 18, 2020

This Too Shall Pass



For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning.  
Psalm 30:5

It feels like it’s been ages since I wrote our last newsletter.  That’s not because I wrote it that long ago, but more so just how much the world has changed in those short, few months.  When I wrote the last letter, most of us had never heard of Coronavirus, but now, our lives have been completely altered by this sickness.

Like many of you, our lives have changed drastically in the last few weeks.  In early March, most LAMP staff began working from home instead of the office, other than when necessary.  A number of speaking engagements I had lined up for the spring were cancelled.  For the last few weeks, Linnea and I have been staying at home, other than when we needed groceries or when I’ve had to do work on the airplanes at the hangar.  Any interaction with friends and family has been over the phone or by video chat.  Life has changed dramatically.

I’m reminded of the day I was diagnosed with cancer back in 2004.  I’ll never forget the words of the doctor after he broke the news.  He told me my life was going to change for the next while.  He couldn’t tell me how long; it could be a few weeks, it could be months, but things were suddenly going to be drastically different for me. 

He was right.  A little more than 48 hours later, I was in a hospital being prepped for surgery.  In a span of just a few hours, I went from being a perfectly healthy 22-year-old to battling a deadly disease that, if left untreated, would kill me.

The following months were filled with hospital visits, tests, surgeries, and then chemotherapy.  During my time in chemotherapy, I was more or less isolated.  Left with a weakened immune system from the chemicals, I couldn’t be around large groups of people.  I didn’t go to church, or to see movies, or meet with friends at a restaurant for dinner.  I stayed at home, and more or less, only left the house to go to the hospital for my treatments.

The doctor had warned me, and he was right.  However, he also explained to me that things would, eventually, return to normal.  He was right about that too.

It feels like the whole world has been diagnosed with a sickness.  Even though we may not be showing symptoms, we’ve all been asked to isolate as if we were sick to protect ourselves and others.  This means things will be different for the next while.  

That’s also true for our work at LAMP.  At this time of year, we’re normally preparing for the busy summer season of vacation Bible schools all across the north.  Although we’re still preparing and hoping, the reality of the situation is that it’s looking less and less likely that we will be able to put on VBS as we normally would.  Communities all across the north are beginning to isolate themselves, understandably so.

As bad as things may get in our major cities across the country, it could be much worse in northern reserves.  Healthcare is inadequate with no hospitals and very few doctors, if any.  Often, there is just a nursing clinic that will likely not be able to handle any moderate to serious cases of the virus and will become overwhelmed very quickly.  Underlying health issues are also a concern as the majority of the population deals with ailments like diabetes or kidney issues.  Overcrowding of small houses, with many people living together will only intensify the situation further.

Communities are asking people to stay away and to not come for the time being.  At LAMP, we understand and will respect their wishes, but that doesn’t mean our jobs are finished until this all blows over.  Over the last few weeks, we’ve been brainstorming and trying to come up with ways that we can continue to minister and bring the Gospel and love of Christ to isolated people, particularly during this dark time. 

One thing that we know is that this too shall pass.  These conditions won’t go on forever.  Although this virus may alter the world as we know it, just as the doctor told me, things will eventually return to a sense of normal.  When that will happen, nobody knows for sure.  It could be weeks, it could be months, or longer.

In the meantime, we are asking for prayer and wisdom that God would lead us in the right direction to be able to provide these communities with the emotional and spiritual support that they need.  We also ask for a prayer for protection for the communities of the north because of the additional issues they face which could make this pandemic so much worse for them.  We also hope that you know that as you pray for us, we are praying for you.  That you would remain safe and healthy and that your spirit and heart would be uplifted. 

In Christ,
Andrew & Linnea

No comments:

Post a Comment