Monday, December 11, 2023

Little is Much

 

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

Luke 2:8-14

 


I sometimes wonder what the shepherds thought when they arrived at the manger. Having just been visited by a host of angels, proclaiming the coming of the Messiah, a Saviour, a new born king! Did they arrive at the manger and think, “Is this it?” A baby, humbly born in a stable; He wasn’t born in some  great palace to a powerful and wealthy family, somebody that could obviously influence and change things. How could this child possibly change the world?

They wouldn’t have known what God had in store; what would be done on the cross or how, even two thousand years later, the effects of that night are still working in the world.

I am reminded of the song Little is Much, by a band called Downhere, though there also happens to be a song of the same title by The Gaithers. Regardless of which version you may be familiar with, both have a similar general theme: That God will seemingly use small things for much greater purposes.

I find this incredibly encouraging because, if I’m being perfectly honest, there are also days when I wonder if I’m making any sort of a difference. On these days, I tend to think that “I just fly airplanes; what possible difference could I be making?” 

However, with God, little is much. When all we have to offer seems so small, He’s able to take it and use it for much greater purposes. When I have these thoughts, I remind myself that the outcome is God’s domain. I am called to be faithful, obey, and trust that God will use my talents and service, no matter how small and inconsequential they may seem to me, to bring about His plans.

We long to see the transformative power of God’s grace and love change the lives of the people and communities that we serve, bringing them the hope and joy of Christ.  The night the shepherds arrived at the manger, they may not have been able to fully understand how a small, newborn baby would reshape the world, but God had great things in store. 

Likewise, as I reflect on the Christmas story, I may not always understand how God can use my small contribution to radically change lives and even whole communities, but I trust that I am just a small part of God’s much larger plan. We thank God this Christmas season that He can turn Little into Much.


With another year almost done, we want to thank you for your support, prayers, and encouragement that have helped to keep this ministry going. God is using your generosity to expand His Kingdom. We’re looking forward to what God has in store for next year and we hope you are as well.

We’d like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  We pray you have a joyous holiday season celebrating with family and loved ones, and look forward to keeping you updated on this ministry in the new year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment